“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.”
― The Hobbit or There and Back Again
You’ve probably noticed that things have been a bit slow on the blog this week, which is due to some random mysterious sickness that I’ve been dealing with. I’ve missed three out of four days of work this week which is giving me hellish anxiety. I went to the doctor halfway through this sickness and learned that they have absolutely no idea what’s going on. They gave me a generic antibiotic, which turned out to be the right call since I’m slowly starting to feel better.
This week is the Reading Rush, which I have not been keeping up with. At the time of this writing, I’ve only finished one of the seven books and am currently reading two more. I’m not going to push myself more than I need to while I’m still recovering, so I’m just looking forward to seeing what I can finish before Sunday. I might end up switching some of my TBR for the Reading Rush out for graphic novels or comic book arcs so that I can actually finish some of the challenges.
I also decided to go back to weekly wrap-ups instead of daily. I work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays, so on those days, it’s hard for me to wake up, get ready for work, and find time to blog. Weekly wrap-ups make more sense to me anyway.
On the Blog
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
- Star Trek: Waypoint Special #1
- The Protector by Elin Peer
- Roar by Cora Carmack
Articles & Editorials
- 5 Books I Would Love to See Turned Into a Movie
- Cover Reveal for Tahereh Mafi’s Imagine Me
- New Book Releases for July 23, 2019
- New Comic Book Releases for July 24, 2019
- Best Comic Book Covers for the Week of July 24, 2019
News and Such…
- Tor.com has revealed the new cover art for Susan Dennard’s Witchlands series, and I’m so glad I didn’t already purchase the books that our out. A new hardcover box set is being released on October 8th, and I’m ready for it.
- If you have children, you might enjoy this list of librarian-recommended picture books from Book Riot.
- Amazon Publishing just snagged the publishing rights to Dean Koontz’s next five books, which is shaking up the publishing world.
- Paper artist Tina Kraus has done some beautiful paper sculptures of insects and reptiles, and they’re stunning. Some of them are so realistic that it’s hard to believe it’s paper!
- There’s a new fantasy comic book series coming out from Image Comics, written by Chip Zdarsky called The White Trees. It’s said to be high fantasy and takes place in the fictional world of Blacksand. I’ll always support new fantasy comic book series, so I’ll definitely be looking forward to this series when it’s released mid-August!
- Book blog The Bookish Elf has an interview with author Nandini Dhanani, author of Finding Myself.
- I’m freaking out over these exclusive hardcover special editions of The Night Circus and Crooked Kingdom. I keep trying to convince myself that I don’t need second copies of books that I already own, but look at them!
- This glittery art from Sara Shakeel is one of my new obsessions right now.
- Ever wonder how big Bag End really is? Adam Middleton, who is an artist with Weta Workshop, has created some concept art examing the layout of the home base of Frodo and Bilbo Baggins.
- What’s cooler than a library? A library built to look like a bookshelf!