Due to the blog hiatus I took, this June wrap-up is coming to you guys a wee bit late. Better late than never, though, right?!
I introduced a new feature on the blog right before I went on hiatus, which is a daily news round-up I’m calling Foxy Links (because, as you can see just looking at my blog, I love foxes). I love daily round-ups of relevant articles and posts, because who has time to read a hundred different websites and blogs? I hope you guys enjoy the daily Foxy Links posts!
Moving forward, I’m going to continue posting author interviews, except they won’t be a part of the Friday Favorites feature. I’ll just be posting interviews with authors and members of the larger book community as they come in.
How’d I do with my June Plans that I laid out at the beginning of the month? Well, I had planned on reading 30 books in 30 days, which I didn’t do. I read 17. Out of the 20 books I had on my June TBR, I read 8 of them, counting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which I DNF-ed. Despite not making it to 30 books, I still think I had an amazing reading month.
For my 2019 Goodreads Challenge, my goal is 225 books. As of this writing, I’m at 75.
Books I Read in June
- Daredevil: Back in Black: The Death of Daredevil by Charles Soule
- Death of Wolverine by Charles Soule
- Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
- The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
- The Mighty Thor Vol 1 by Walter Simonson
- Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy
- Daredevil: Back in Black: Mayor Murdock by Charles Soule
- $2.00 a Day by Kathryn Edin review coming soon)
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren (review coming soon)
- Perfectly Hidden Depression by Margaret Robinson Rutherford, PhD
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (review coming soon)
- How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life by the Dalai Lama (review coming soon)
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo (review coming soon)
- Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
- The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur (review coming soon)
- Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno
- Winter Flower by Charles Sheehan-Miles (review coming soon)
On the Blog
- Down the TBR Hole #2
- Interview with Kathy Kimbray, author of A Shifting of Stars
- The Best (and Worst) Books I’ve Read So Far in 2019 – Mid-year Wrap-up
- Why You Should Declutter Your Digital Life
- Down the TBR Hole #3
- Interview with Laurence Westwood, author of The Willow Woman
- Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag!
Books I Bought or Received
In terms of new books, I accumulated way more than I’d anticipated. However, I only outright purchased a handful of them. I also received some late birthday gifts and a couple of gift cards this month.
In no particular order:
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang – Book of the Month
- Recursion by Blake Crouch – Book of the Month
- Red White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston – Gift Card
- The Quest for the Holy Grail – Library Book Sale
- Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson – OwlCrate
- Fall, or Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson – ARC from the publisher
- Roar (Stormheart #1) by Cora Carmack – Purchased
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren – Gift Card
- After the Flood by Kassandra Montag – ARC from the publisher
- Year One by Nora Roberts – Gift
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez – Gift Card
- A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness – Library book sale
- Beartown by Fredrick Backman – Library book sale
- The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards – Library book sale
- The Turnaround by George Pelecanos – Gift
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo – Gift card
- Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno – Gift card
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Library book sale
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho – Library book sale
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – Purchased
- The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan – Library book sale
Ebooks (not pictured):
- False Step by Victoria Helen Stone – Amazon Prime’s free first reads pick
- The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski – purchased
- Lost Lords Bundle: Loving a Lost Lord, Never Less than a Lady, Nowhere Near Respectable, No Longer a Gentleman & Sometimes a Rogue by Mary Jo Putney – purchased
- A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean – purchased
- The Winter Road by Adrian Selby – purchased
- Falling Stars by Xio Axelrod – purchased
- Echo: A Dark Billionaire Romance by A Zavarelli – purchased
As you can tell from my ebook purchases, I’m on a little bit of a romance binge. Part of that is due to it’s being summer, and in the summer I tend to read fluffy and/or steamy romances. The other reason is that I’m experimenting with new-to-me authors who will be at Apollycon next year, which I’ll be going to.
I’m very new to the romance genre, so if you have some recommendations, I’d love to hear them!